Ukrainian Inter TV channel blocked for two days already
Journalists of Inter and NTN TV channels cannot get to their jobs in the main TV center of the Inter Media Group for the second day in the row.
This is said in the channel’s statement.
“It happened today at 7:15 a.m. due to the fact that people, who are blocking the main TV center of the Inter Media Group for the second day in the row, hogged the entrance to the television center. The employees of the Inter Media Group showed their certificates and explained that they were journalists, but they were still not allowed to get to their jobs physically,” the press service of the channel informs.
“The actions of people, who block the access of journalists to their jobs, are direct preclusion of journalistic activities that is criminally punishable in Ukraine,” reads the statement.
It is reported that the entrance and the gates of the TV center are blocked by tires.
“TV crews cannot go to the scenes for filming. The television center requires constant skilled care. Currently, the television station staff stay on the workplaces for smooth operation of the channel for the second day in the row, and there is no possibility of substitution,” the press service notes.
As the Human Rights Information Centre correspondent reports, the activists accuse the channel of the pro-Russian views. They say that the action will last for an indefinite period of time, until the channel stops its activities.
Inter TV channel representatives report they filed 10 reports on crimes to the Prosecutor General’s Office of Ukraine, the Interior Ministry, the Security Service and the National Police of Ukraine for the past three days. The media emphasize there has been no response from the law enforcement officers so far.
The police arrested six people after the fire in the premises of the National Information Systems (NIS) company, which produces programs for Inter TV channel, but later freed them.
“It turned out that the men were former servicemen of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Three of them refused to provide written explanations, others reported that they were not far away from the scene and committed no unlawful acts. All the detainees were released,” reads the statement of the Kyiv police.
The investigators qualify the incident under Part 4, Article 296 (hooliganism) and Part 2, Article 194 (intentional destruction or damage of property) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine.
President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko instructed Prosecutor General Yuri Lutsenko to investigate into the events under his personal control.
“I have instructed the Prosecutor General to take the investigation under personal control, for there are many questions left,” Petro Poroshenko said.
“At the same time, scenario of the state-aggressor when certain media funded by Russia are trying to destabilize the domestic political situation in Ukraine is also unacceptable. However, the response to that must be absolutely legal,” the President noted.
The Head of State stressed that the law enforcement agencies had to prevent the escalation of violence.
Prime Minister of Ukraine Volodymyr Groysman believes that the events in the premises of the NIS require an immediate and impartial investigation.
Chief of Staff of the Security Service of Ukraine Oleksandr Tkachuk believes that the activity of the Inter TV channel should be considered by the National Television and Radio Broadcasting Council of Ukraine.
He says that the SBU will take all the measures to prevent criminal, separatist, terrorist activities of specific individuals.
As a reminder, September 4, the premises of the National Information Systems were set on fire.